As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the most frequent questions I get asked as a photographer is “What should we wear to our engagement shoot?” I want to walk you through some ideas, break them down a little bit, and take the headache out of this question.
Let these images reflect who you are
I always tell my clients first and foremost to let the engagement photos represent who they are day-to-day in an elevated way. If you’re not a suit and tie person, don’t wear a suit and tie. If you LOVE getting glam, then get glam. Make sure you authentically represent yourself. This honest representation of who you are will be such a nice compliment to your wedding collection when you are dressed to perfection.
1) Don’t match outfits, coordinate them. Find a color scheme, or a couple of colors that complement each other well, and run with it. Try not to wear the exact same color tops or bottoms as that could become distracting in the photos.
2) Use layers to change up an outfit. I’ve seen some cool vintage fur-collared coats worn over dresses and then the coat can be removed for some shots. Cardigans and suit jackets can be used in the same way.
2) Watch for bra straps. If you have a strappy dress and the bra will barely fit under it, wear a strapless bra.
3) Does your outfit make sense for where we’re shooting? A suit and tie and a pantsuit will look stunning with a city backdrop, but might not make as much sense in a park or garden setting.
4) Avoid fine patterns. These can cause what’s called the Moiré effect and can ruin photos pretty easily. The camera has trouble reading intricate patterns and can end up blurring them together.
5) Avoid logos. Solid pieces work well. Add in an accessory or one article of clothing for a pop of color. I’m a huge fan of bright and bold, so don’t feel limited to neutrals.
6) The camera makes makeup less apparent, so add a little more than you normally would. I promise you you’ll still look like yourself in the photos!
For same-sex couples or people who want even more inspiration, please visit my Amazon Storefront for more coordinating outfit ideas:)